This is a great tool to build resilience from the Social Resilience Model, which was found by Threshold Global Works. When we are focused on things that overwhelm us and make us feel stressed, it can be difficult to build resilience and be in our resilient zone. This is a tool I use a lot in my self-care because I tend to overthink or ruminate on things so it is helpful to intentionally shift my thoughts.
Shift & Stay
The shift and stay exercise is all about shifting away from what is overwhelming and shifting to something that is calming. Shifting allows us to increase feelings of calmness and not be overcome by stress. What are some things you could shift to instead of stressing? Here are some ideas:
- A good thing that happened to you today
- An item or place that brings you joy
- A person that you have a positive relationship with
- Anything positive or calming
The more we practice the more our brain will support and adjust to a new habit. Here are some ways to practice the shift & stay:
- When you start to feel overwhelmed intentionally think about something else more positive. Once you are feeling more calm you can then address the previous situation.
- When feeling overwhelmed by negative thoughts pause and take a moment to journal about a positive memory or event.
- When having an overwhelming conversation allow yourself to step away and think about something else to calm.